Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Are we out of school yet?

This morning, Kale asked me if he was out of school yet. He said, " I'm not going to Seton anymore, why am I still in school?" {Kenny and Kale are attending a community school this week as their summer sitter is at Disneyland with her family and won't be back until Saturday.} I had to chuckle as Kenny responded to Kale with this comment: "But Kale, we get to go to a Junior High right now, we won't actually be in Junior High for years. Enjoy it while you are there!!"

I thought to myself, "what does Kenny now about Junior High and why does he want to be there so badly??" Here's what I think...he has a case of the "growing up as fast as I can" wants. He was good friends with several fifth graders (I know, crazy huh??) this last school year and they talked about Jr. High quite a bit towards the end of the year. He seems to think it is a much cooler place to be then in Elementary School. I hope he settles down a bit and just enjoys the time he has right now. He will be there soon enough.

Kale wants to be a big boy like his brother so badly and doesn't understand why he has to wait another year before he can start Kindergarten. Their conversation continued, "Kale, you aren't old enough to be a Kindergartener yet. You have to be five." Kale said, rather exasperatingly, "But I will be four soon, why can't I start when I'm four."

I smiled as I listened to them go back and forth and realized how grown up my two little boys are becoming. At the first of last year, Kale couldn't speak very clearly and became frustrated when we didn't understand. After participating in speech therapy this last year, there is very little that we don't understand and he has gained the confidence to carry on a full conversation with whoever will listen and respond. Kenny is such a patient little boy, when it comes to helping Kale understand why something is the way it is. He will talk to Kale all day if given the opportunity.

They are loving, supportive brothers and I feel so blessed to be their mom. I love to just listen to them and watch from a distance. They are growing and learning and although they don't get along all the time, I know they love each other. They bring joy and laughter to our home and for that I am extremely grateful. I hope they stay close always and continue to support and love one another.

1 comment: