Tuesday, August 25, 2009

We made it through the first day of school...

What a day - from start to finish it was a roller coaster ride of ups and downs and turns and loop-d-loops. We started the day of great with the boys getting up and getting themselves dressed (they even picked out their own clothes). With a few very minor outfit issues, we were doing great. I asked them to go play in their room while I finished getting ready for work and then we would go down and have breakfast and make lunches and get ready to head out the door.

I finished getting ready and went looking for them, but they weren't in their room. So I started searching the house. When I couldn't find them, my first thought was "they had better not be in the backyard with the dog getting dirty, I haven't taken pictures yet" (I know, I am such a mom).

When they weren't there, I really started to freak out and began frantically checking all the places they use to hide. They weren't anywhere to be found. That was when I noticed that the front door was slightly ajar and so I ran outside looking for them. At first, I didn't see them there either, but then I heard them. They were hanging out with plumbers fixing the next door neighbor's main pipes in the front of their house. They had a snake with a camera on the end and they were watching the small television to see what they could see.

I was grateful that the plumbers were nice guys, but we definitely had a "stranger danger" talk over dinner.

Once we were back in the house, we made lunches and were loading up the backpacks and taking pics when Kenny remembered his glasses. He went in to look for them and took about 5 minutes to locate where he had set them. Then he realized he didn't have his lunch and couldn't remember where he set that. Needless to say, it took us about 10 more minutes to get out the door then I had planned and this made us "almost late" dropping Kenny off.

There was no parking at Kenny's school, but we were lucky enough to find a spot at Kale's. We parked and ran across the street as Kenny's teacher was leading them to their spot of blacktop. Just in time - not tardy on the first day!!

Then I got Kale dropped off and he was sad because his best friend wasn't in his class, but he did see him at both recesses, so that made it better. He told us he likes his teacher (even though he can't pronounce her name) and he thinks he will enjoy the year.

Kenny's favorite part of the day... Recess is before lunch, not after. That would be my little guy for ya. We will keep our fingers crossed that he finds more then recess interesting this year and makes GOOD friends that will encourage him to make good choices and stay out of trouble.

I will post pictures this week for all to see. They really are growing up and turning into great little boys, so smart, so energetic, so happy. I hope they stay that way!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Moe. That is so great. We are most likely homeschooling....well we are at least for now. School started yesterday. We made our first official trip to the library today to pick out this weeks subject. Bugs for Tristan, the moon for Julian. Plus all the reading, writing, arithmetic stuff. Cross your fingers and pray...I will SURELY need it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you didn't call me back. Hope all the days are that successful. Not tardy is great. Tell the boys I love their experience with the plumbers. Those cameras are pretty fascinating. Love, Grandma Ericson

    ReplyDelete